For four days, Georgia Street will be transformed into a Brazilian beach party featuring “Countdown to Rio” activities in recognition of the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, that are less than one year away.
If there is inclement weather, the Georgia Street activities will be cancelled. Fans should check this page for any updates to the schedule
- Bring your workout gear and participate in a special edition of “Workout Wednesday” led by Olympians Peszek and Sloan in the west block of Georgia Street. Wednesday, Aug. 12, 12-12:45 p.m.
- Kick off the first day of competition with the Circle City’s Taste of the Championships on the west block. Food trucks will offer health-conscious menu items that have been approved by St.Vincent Sports Performance and discounted items for those with P&G Gymnastics Championships tickets or credentials. Thursday and Friday, 11 a.m.-2 p.m. On Saturday, Aug. 15, the food trucks move to the east block from 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- Official Countdown to Rio beach party in the east block includes a scavenger hunt and activities for kids, such as balance beam and carnival masks; an interactive live art project that will be unveiled during Sunday’s competition; special gymnastics-themed sand sculpture on the Georgia Street beach; Brazilian music; and the 3-D letter sculpture Rio, a signature art piece. Also local gymnastics clubs will give demonstrations – the Gymnastics Company on Thursday, Dana Mannix Gymnastics and The Flip Zone on Friday, and Fusion Gymnastics and Geist Sports Academy on Saturday. Thursday, Aug. 13, and Friday, August 14, 4:30-6:30 p.m.; Saturday, Aug. 15, 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- Happy Hour Thursday in the center block of Georgia Street, with an Olympic gymnast appearance. Thursday, 4:30 p.m.
- On Thursday, 1996 Olympic gold medalist Shannon Miller will sign copies of her book, “It’s Not About Perfect,” in the CNO booth on Georgia Street’s east block. Thursday, Aug. 13, 5:30-6:30 p.m.
- Special performance by American Idol Season 12 finalist Angie Miller, outside Banker’s Life Fieldhouse. Saturday, Aug. 15, 6:30 p.m.
- Samba lessons, Georgia Street east block. Saturday, Aug. 15, 5:50-6:20 p.m.
- Capoeira, a Brazilian martial art that combines elements of dance, acrobatics and music, performance, Georgia Street east block. Saturday, Aug. 15, 5:10-5:40 p.m.
- DJ Kyle Long entertainment, Georgia Street east block. Saturday, Aug. 15, 3:30-6:30 p.m.
- Following Saturday night’s competition, Brazilian music spun by DJ Kyle Long and light display adjacent to Banker’s Life Fieldhouse, Aug. 15.